Saturday, September 22, 2012

Quitting Sugar - Week 2

Well this week has really flown. We've had some challenges this week but I think we've made it through really well. We planned ahead and whilst haven't avoided sugar completely we have minimised it as best we could.

Miss Berry turned 5 this week so you can only imagine the amount of sugar usually involved in a 5 year old's birthday. Normally we go a bit over board for Birthdays and have three cakes (one for the actual birthday, one for the family party and one for the friends party) as well as all the lollies, food, soft drink and juices that go with Birthdays.

This year we scaled it right back - although admittedly not for the sugar reason. But it certainly helped minimise our exposure to sugar.

Here is a quick run down of the sugar I ate over the past couple of days:
  • The Birthday Dinner (McDonalds - her choice, not ours)
    • McChicken (0.75 tsp)
    • Fries (0 tsp)
    • Water (0 tsp obviously)
    • Apple Pie (1.75 tsp)
  • The Birthday Party
    • Birthday Cake
    • A couple of lollies
I looked up the sugar amounts in McDonalds from The Sweet Poison Quit Plan before we left for dinner. For the record, the apple pie really put me over the edge. I felt so very sick that night. Really uncomfortable in the stomach with a really heavy feeling. Could have been the sugar or just the McDonalds in general. Not sure but either way we won't be rushing back for a while.

I don't even want to think of the amount of sugar in the lollies or the cake (I made the cake, there was a lot of sugar). But I could only manage the smallest piece of cake as it was too sweet.

All in all I'm ok with what I've eaten over the past couple of days. It was a Birthday Party after all and my other meals were our usual sugar free fare. Miss Berry has had a fair bit of sugar and I think we will have a few rough days next week as she gets it out of her system again. On a positive note she tried a fruit roll up for the first time and took a couple of bites then threw it out. I think we might be getting through to her taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...